Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Elephant Embroidery

My sweet friend Hannah LOVES elephants. I mean LOVES them. 


I captured her loving on this elephant in Cambodia last year. 

While I was home last summer, I decided I wanted to try my hand at embroidery. I found a "how to draw an elephant" doodle on Pinterest, so I decided to use it to make a little something for Hannah. 

Here is what I came up with:


Isn't he cute? I really love how it turned out. 


大象 {da xiang} means elephant. 
The second character is pretty complicated.... In fact, I remember freaking out when it was on our final exam in our writing class first semester last year (ya know 4 months after we started learning this complicated language). Needless to say at that point, I did not get it correct. SO I was a little nervous about trying to embroider it and went back & forth trying to decide if I should or not, but it turned out great! I'm glad I did. 


I used colored tracing paper to draw the pattern on the fabric after I had free handed it onto a sheet of paper. 


I used just the basic back stitch for almost everything, and 2 little french knots for his eyes. 

I wanted to add a little something extra to balance it out, and be able to add more color so I decided he needed to hold a little balloon with his trunk. 


And not just any ballon, a pink heart balloon. 

I considered framing it, but decided that I liked it as it was in the embroidery hoop. 


I'm still a little obsessed with it. 


Hannah loved it too :) 

That was my first adventure in embroidery. I haven't done anything else except played around with different stitches on scraps of fabric. I do want to try something else soon. 

Joyfully Embroidered, 


Linking Up Over At: {Blue Cricket Design}{Organize & Decorate Everything}{Sew Much Ado}{Thrifty101}{A Little Tipsy}{Somewhat Simple}{The Shabby Nest}{Whipperberry}{A Little Knick Knack}{Tatertots & Jello}{LollyJane Boutique}{Nifty Thrifty Things}{I Heart Nap Time}{Positively Splendid}{Sew Can Do}{So Very Creative}{Craft-O-Maniac}{C.R.A.F.T.}{Skip To My Lou}{Homework}{Not Just a Housewife}{Today's Creative Blog}

9 comments:

  1. This is really cute! You did a wonderful job! I just taught myself the back stitch last week and I can see how the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ADORABLE!!! Makes me what to pick up embroidery one day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am a sucker for embroidery and I love that it is so meaningful to your friend! Have fun exploring embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! That elephant is so cute! You inspired me to embroider something for my friend something soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Now I want to go embroider something!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails