I have started writing this post like 9 times..... Words.... They just aren't formulating.... guess I can't really tell you how I feel. I just keep saying "good" when people ask. Or to "how was this year?" I can't seem to say anything other than "It was really good!" Don't ask me why... because I've got a whole lot of reasons in my head, but they aren't coming out well in words. So yes, How do I feel about being back? honestly.... I'm not sure. Happy, fine, hungry, hanging, something...I DON'T KNOW. So maybe I'll just give a quick recap....
...and include googled images since I left my camera at my aunt & uncles house today :(
We made it back in one piece! We made it door to door in 31.5 hours. It was an adventure for sure. We left our house at 6:15, escorted by our sweet friends who own and run a little restaurant outside of our apartment. We thought it was SO sweet of them to take us to the airport. Then our flight left at 8:05..... and then an hour or so into the flight, the flight attendant announced that we were turning around and gearing back to the GY (our city) airport. AH you must be kidding. we felt a sense of panic knowing that if this flight didn't get to BJ (big capital city) on time, we weren't going to get back to America, or especially home for quite a while. After a couple of hours back at the airport we finally took off again biting out nails, hoping that we'd get to BJ in time to catch our flight to Washington DC. THANKFULLY, we had a LONG layover scheduled in BJ and the 4 hour delay didn't keep us from making the flight. Still not sure why we went back.... maybe something like this.... it would make the most sense considering the details we were given.
blahblahblah. this is going to get long if I go into too much detail.... anyway, longest and most not fun 14 hour flight we've taken yet, got to washington DC, grabbed a quick bite to eat... starred at the menu unable to read what my eyeballs were seeing and then stumbling over my words as I tried to order it as i forgot how to order food here..... boarded the next flight to Nashville and landed before we knew it.
Slept like a baby that first night.... and forgot how much i stinking LOVE my bed. Holy cow. Like sleeping on a cloud.
Eve brought that suh-weeet baby straight to me the next morning as soon as I got out of bed, and I am just obsessed. He's precious. I could go on all day. I'll save that for later tho. And share lots of pics.
Spent a lot of that day with her.
Went to Zoes for lunch (I told you that was at the top of my list). It was overwhelming. That was my first trip into public, and I didn't know what to do with all of the caucasian people around me, and felt really weird, and I could understand all of the conversations around me.... ah. That's really overwhelming. Adam and I went to the grocery.... and I just stood next to the buggy. Its large and there is A LOT of food there. I couldn't bring myself to look at anything, so I just stood there and said, "Yeah, Uh Huh, Sure...." to anything adam asked.
Then Eve took me to Target.
Those are my excited fingers.
Target made things better. Its like being where you belong. I didn't buy much.... a shirt and some of those new reeses mini cups! So convenient for over eating them.
And then that night we grilled out with some close friends. It was quite nice.
Church on Sunday- quite nice to be around people there and not too overwhelming.
And done lots of fun thngs since then. Pei Wei and Sweet CeCe's with Joe, spent the 4th at Eve's parents with some friends in the pool and enjoying ah-mazing food, bbq with my extended family at my aunt & uncles tonight. lots of friends and connecting.
so yeah, its good! maybe beyond day 1 of overwhelmedness, it just doesn't feel that weird and just like life here. which is not like life there, but still good. i like both a lot.
i'll stop now. thank you for bearing with me. maybe I'll make my posts a little more exciting soon. OH I get to see my puppy so soon! oh my how I can't wait!
right now I can't hold my eyes open much longer. So off to bed. I am here, and alive and content. More to come soon!
Joyfully HERE,




Enjoy your time home! ;) How long are you staying?
ReplyDeletexo,
Vanessa
Wow! That sounds overwhelming! I lived in Grenada (in the West Indies) for 2 years while my husband attended med school and I had crazy culture shock coming home from there....and we would come home every 5 months! And they spoke english! So I kinda get what you're going through, but on not nearly as huge a scale! I remember looking at everything and thinking, why does it all have to be so big?!? And why am I not the only white person around?!? And even though they spoke english, with their accents we were lost most of the time! So strange!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great trip home! Enjoy!
Really? You went to Pei Wei?! hahaha Will ya'll be in CO?
ReplyDeleteHaley, I have been reading your blog for quite some time and I have to tell you, I LOVE IT! I have some friends that are getting ready to move to China and I told the girl about your blog. She instantly became OBSESSED. She has lots of questions though about moving to the other side of the world. I know you are home and relaxing but would you mind at some point in the next month or two contacting her? She said she felt so inspired reading your blog (and she has been reading a lot of them in preparation). Yours was the only one that really got her pumped for the move (besides obviously God's calling). Their blog is eggfooyoungs.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete