Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Vacation Recap {4}- Cambodia Part 3

More of Cambodia here.....

During the Revolution there during the 1970's, the Rouge went through most of the temples and beheaded the Buddhas there. 

A very interesting thing to see. 

So the statues that we did see with heads caught my eye.



Even though the temples are all very much tourist attractions, many people still stop to offer money, food, and incense to the Buddhas with heads. 


This is the south gate to a huge part of the temple system- the west gate looks exactly the same except most of the statues on that side don't have heads. I'm not sure why this side still had their's and the other didn't. 



Our transportation for our time in Cambodia was a "Tuk Tuk." A motorcycle with a little carriage on the back. Hannah, Brook and I got to be good buddies with our driver, Mr. Sola.... or as his TukTuk said, "Mr. Sola Power." So clever. 


It is by far my new favorite means of transportation. You stay cool, it is very scenic, and I {miraculously} didn't get motion sick at all. I could have just ridden around in it all day and been content doing nothing else. 


Our drivers took us to their favorite places to eat along the way and would come join us which I thoroughly enjoyed. They were all really funny. Getting to know them was definitely a highlight of my time in Cambodia. 


We love Mr. Sola! 


Their game of tag carried over into the TukTuk ride. The drivers thought it was hilarious. 



Another highlight was playing with/riding the elephants


Isn't it just so cute!?


My feelings towards elephants haven't changed much in the last couple of years- I still think they are super cute, but those trunks are too unpredictable so I have to keep a safe distance.... as seen here....


My dear friend Hannah on the other hand LOVES elephants and got up close and personal with them. "Ellouise" - as she named her- got lots of hugs and kisses. 


and Bananas!


Here we are on our elephant ride....


Brook, Ryan & Joseph weren't far behind.


Those were a few more highlights from Cambodia- one more to go, then on to Koh Lanta! 

Joyfully transported,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails