Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gratitude on Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a day that can provoke strong emotions for so many. Gratitude for the wonderful Mothers they have. Grief over the mothers no longer here. Sorrow over the longing to be a mother celebrated. And surely a myriad of others I'm sure. 


I think I feel a little of all of these years maybe more than ever.... gratitude for my own mom that grows increasingly over time as i look back, process, and see how far we have come in our relationship over the last 27 years & considered how much she loves me. Grief as I wish that my love could call his mom tonight to wish her a happy mother's day... something he hasn't been able to do in 13 years. Sorrow over longing myself. 

But I'm choosing gratitude today.... not just for my mom & all that she's done for me, but also for the legacy that Adam's mom left for him, for the way that the pain of losing her brought him to a place of brokenness that could only be redeemed by THE great Healer, for the season of life that I'm in knowing that I am in the hands of an Author who is writing a story greater than one I possibly could. 

I'm also filled with gratitude at the way that the Father uses mothers to give us a greater understanding of His love for us. I am so thankful for an earthly father who has made it so easy for me to accept the unconditional love of my heavenly Father. But I'm also so thankful for a mother through whom He has shown me His gentle nurture & care, kindness & compassion. Motherhood is a high calling; and a difficult one at that... shepherding & nurturing a heart to grow in the knowledge of HIM. 


So today I lift up the ones who have received that calling, that they would be vessels of HIS love to those to whom He has entrusted; the ones who have lost, that they would find comfort in Him; the ones who wait, that they would be sure of the promise that HE is writing their story & withholding no good thing from them. 

So happy mother's day to all of you, and I hope that you too can choose gratitude today through whatever circumstances the divine Author of our stories may have for you. Whatever emotion mother's day draws to the surface for you, allow Him to meet you there as He desires to. 

Thank you to grandmothers and aunts who have hugged & spoiled & loved with every ounce of their being, to second moms that are far too many to name who have invested hours in my life over the years, to Pam who raised Adam into the man that he today is, to Michelle who cares for all of us as though we were her own. 


And from 7,000+ miles away I say thank you to my sweet mom for a billion and ten sacrifices made in love over the years, for who knows how many diapers she changed, for hauling me all over the green earth for the years she did, for putting up with my sassy mouth & forgiving me when my words & actions wounded, for teaching me that it is okay to cry in almost every circumstance, for making me write thank you notes & stick with piano lessons all those years, for still staying up into the wee hours of the morning with me scratching my back & letting me know how much she cares, and for now being my friend. And all that comes with it. I love you. 


"Who can measure the long-term effects of nurturing helpless infants, supervising wandering toddlers, discipling self-willed children, and counseling self-absorbed adolescents? Of family outings planned, traditions built, memories made, books read, songs sung, Scripture taught? That’s why motherhood belongs under the heading, 'Engage the World'; no one shapes generations or fashions cultures more than mothers."
~ Jeff Purswell, Worldliness, (edited by C.J. Mahaney, p. 159).


Here are some links to enjoy this Mother's Day:




Joyfully Grateful for Moms,

7 comments:

  1. My precious Haley, thank you! My Mother's Day blessing is to be able to share... your gratitude with all of your extended moms who have loved you unconditionally and influenced far beyond what I could do single handedly... to share your gratitude with those moms who continue to grow in understanding of His love.
    You have been exponentially blessed to be a part of mothers and grandmothers whom you have known and not known. Your blessed and extensive heritage is who you are; your calling to lead us to know His love is our blessing. Thank you...
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are precious. This post was my favorite thing about mother's day this year. So thankful that you shared your heart, and blessed me because of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've gone and made me cry, Haley!!!! Such a sweet post. I pray that as I grow older, that my children will look back on our time together with such gratitude.

    PS. Your mom seriously looks like she could be your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much this post made me cry (I won't admit but I'm sure you can imagine). It was so sweet and meaningful......
    I am so thankful for the women in your life that have influenced you (like your mama so sweetly said herself)! You are such a blessing to me and so many others! Your own mom has definitely been a second mom to me since knowing you!! She has extended love and hospitality to me when I was in need of it!! I love the times she came to visit in college or the times I've stayed at your home and how much I felt like a part of the family...... :)
    Thinking of you both and knowing that someday y'all will get to share in one of the greatest callings we have to be parents. May He cover you with his grace and love until that day comes!! LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haley, so precious. Thank you for writing, for speaking truth, for choosing gratefulness. I'm thankful to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you, Haley! We miss you and hope you are well! Love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails