Saturday, September 10, 2011

New Found Treasures

So while at my dad's house in Johnson City in July, I started discovering some pretty cool stuff. My dad lives in my Grandparents old house that they built in the 60's. My grandmother died 9 years ago, and my dad moved into the house a few years later. While he did change several things around, he left some things the same.

I used to try really hard to convince him to change everything. I thought that most things were old and out of date for my early 20 something taste. But with the way that trends have recently changed... old is now the new new..... I'm glad that a lot of things are the same. 

While she was visiting, Jamie was looking through the living room and came across these books in my Grandmother's old desk hutch.....


I was in the other room when she said, "Ummm Haley.... do you know what you have in here!?" A collection of old Reader's digests books. Which a year ago wouldn't have meant anything to me, but due to the blogosphere & Pinterest, I've discovered that these are little decorating jems. 


I mean look at the covers.....


So fantastic. Who knew that these would be so trendy decades later?


I'm pretty pumped about this find. 


For now, they are back on their old shelf, but I look forward to putting them to great use in the future. 


Next.... 
This chair. It isn't a new find.... it has been sitting in the same spot for the last 26 years. I've always been obsessed with it. 


I haven't noticed the light fixtures in years.... in fact, the last time I looked at them I probably tried to convince my dad to change them. I'm glad he ignored me tho. They are elegant. This one is in the hallway. 


And these 2 that are very similar are in the entryway....


and the dining room. 



This wall shelf unit has been at the bottom of the basement stairs as long as I can remember with this set of old encyclopedias



But I just noticed how much i love this clock.....


Continuing through the basement......


My grandfather's old collection of beer steins.....


.....and into the basement bathroom. 
Now let me just say, I was never a fan of this room as a child. I actually was terrified of their basement.... simply because my first nightmare that I can remember took place there when I was barely 5. I'd be lying if I said I no longer get the heebie-jeebies when I'm down there at night. Lame-o i know. 

This bathroom.... in the basement.... was my grandfather's bathroom. Why the basement bathroom? I have no idea. But here is the proof, 20 years since his bum last touched the toilet......


Yes. I'm pretty sure that has been there for like 40 years. We all know that no woman would ever have a scene painted on the underside of BOTH the seat and the lid..... 
He was just claiming what was his.

His old radio still sits on the shelf. 

The original cabinet {with awesome doors & hardware} is still there...

AND the best part.... dundundada....


The original wall paper THAT is most definitely textured in a short crushed velvet material. 


I mean, how amazing is this!? I kid you not I would have BEGGED my dad to rip this off the wall 8 years ago when he moved in. But that would have been a crying shame.  


Seriously. It is awesome. Pictures don't do it justice. 

The old steam room is now just a regular big shower, but not much else has changed! And I think I like it that way. 


Back upstairs we go.....
Another unchanged area of the house is the dining room with these fun pieces among many:


Elegant candlestick holders that match the chandelier....


and a giant candy bowl looking thing. 


I also found this FUN old cookie jar {that might be fun to spray paint turquoise...or just leave alone}. 


The furniture in the dining room is pretty cool too- even though it is a little out-dated in finish. When we bought our house 4 years ago, I was adamant about buying new dining room furniture and not using this old stuff. But today I would definitely reconsider... with a paint job of course. 

Now to the kitchen. 
{Don't mind the mess... my dad is a bachelor and lives alone ;) }


So these OLD cabinets. I used to hate them and thought they were SOOO old and out of date. I mean, they did install them in the 60's. 


BUT they really are pretty cool. 
All of the handles and hardware look like this:


And I think with an oil-rubbed bronze paint job, could look really cool. I would go with a different stain color for the cabinets, but with that awesome wood grain getting rid of them would be a sin. 


So Dad, even though I still think some things could stand a little change {the brown carpet on the back porch has got to go}, way to hold strong in the line of my old "modern is best" opinions over the past decade. The classic look can stay. 

There are so many other fun things that I didn't get a chance to take pictures of like BIG old mirrors, my Grandmother's jewelry chest, a big old secretary desk that I used to play banker with as my desk, some other great old pieces of furniture, and a wall of really cool grasscloth wall paper {that 8 years ago THANKFULLY the painter refused to take down & swore we would regret it later if we did}. It also just occurred to me that one of the guest rooms {that is now an office} had really sweet old twin beds that had a little built in book shelf in the headboard.... what happened to those?! I sure hope they're still around. 

Joyfully Treasuring, 

2 comments:

  1. i call dibs on one of those RD books ;)
    what fun treasures our parents & grandparents have that we now appreciate all the more- now that we are older!!!!
    so much potential and heartfelt history......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does he still have the "shake machine"??? :) Lots of fun memories in that house!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails