Sunday, April 17, 2011

Yarn Wreath with Interchangeable Attachments

I've loved all of the yarn wreaths floating around out there, and really wanted to make my own. Living over here doesn't make buying things like foam wreaths very easy, so I wanted to be resourceful with what I had. A friend sent me one earlier this year so I decided that I would make a white wreath, and per my best friend's brilliant idea, attach snaps to the wreath to make different attachments. 

Here is the wreath with my first attachment: 


I started out by making felt rosettes and arranging them together.


Then I hot glued them all to a piece of white felt. 


I wanted to add some little leaves with a little bit of dimension. 
It was super easy. 

Just tie a knot, stitch up and down one small stitch on the edge, then across to the middle, stitch up and right back down again, and then do the same one more time on the other end. 

When you pull it all tight, the little leaf puckers together at the bottom. 
Tie it off and....


Voila- a cute little leaf with dimension. 


Then I hot glued the leaves in. 


As I said, I made the wreath to have different attachments. I have these big plastic snaps that I bought at the fabric market. I sewed them onto the wreath by hand. I snapped the other half in...

and put a generous dab of hot glue onto the snap.
Then I just placed the attachment where I wanted it, and held it tightly for a minute for the glue to dry on the attachment. 


It  stays on nice and snug, and comes off with ease. 

Then I just found this fun little color block ribbon and tied it around the wreath. 


Ta-Da! 
I really love it, and am sososo pleased with how it turned out. 


I plan to make more attachments to enjoy all year round!

Joyfully Attached, 

I'm linking up over at:

28 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! So much easier to store the small attachments than to store an entire wreath for each season. You are such a smarty-pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh this is lovely!! I'm not a wreath type!! But I Like this one!!! Really nice:-)
    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I love your little felt rosettes. It is so pretty. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Just popping over from Sundae Scoop. This is a fantastic idea! I made a similar white wreath and used Wire to attach my flowers, but they don't stay in place that well. This would be PERFECT! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and saves on storage so you are not having to store a wreath for every holiday like I currently do. haha....This is FAB!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So So cute! i'm tempted to display the fun photos you sent me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're most creative! I love this idea and you'll really get lots of uses from your wreath. Your little flowers and leaves are so cute and I think the snap idea is fabulous.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This wreath is SO gorgeous! Love the detachable flowers, brilliant! I found you through Sundae Scoop:) I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I LOVE the ribbon you used to hang it, and the idea of interchangeable decorations... genius! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! Your little felt roses are cute too and they look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely! Interchangeable attachments...awesome idea for different seasons!Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is super cute :-)
    ... I have a "Lucy blog", too - except mine is a human! :)~
    Lucy's ROCK!
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so stinkin cute! I wish I was this crafty, I would make those flowers one big mess! Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Hope to see you again, each Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea!

    Also, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    http://evelynkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the interchangeable idea - brillant! I have featured this today. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your wreath! Everyone is making such cute wreaths out there...I need to get on that :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic idea... love that it can be customized for little to no $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a great idea to make the flowers removable--now you can just add different accessories and it'll work for every season/holiday! And I love it with the felt flowers--gorgeous!

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is SO cute!! Great job! Love that you can interchange the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a brilliant idea! I love it! The rosettes are soooo cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is SO cute!! What a great idea! Love it!
    I would love for you to share it at my linky party @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too have an interchangeable wreath! It makes it easier to store none rather than 12!


    Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!
    http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/calling-all-crafters-4th-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just wanted to let you know that I will feature your cute wreath at tomorrow's linky party! :)

    Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up with {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  24. so cute!! I love making flowers out of felt :)

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haley, I LOVE your wreath! It is gorgeous. I love how creative you are!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails